Installing a Bear Shed (Garbage Can Enclosure)

If you are looking into installing a bear shed in Incline Village or Crystal Bay, we strongly suggest you consider the following before you begin:

  • Size: Choose the right size shed. All your putrescible trash (food waste and non-recyclable packaging) must fit in the shed easily, for it to be effective. Sheds come in sizes to fit from 1 to 3 (32 gallon) cans.
  • Location: The container must be placed on private property. The ideal location is 12 to 20 feet from the edge of pavement (curb), with easy access for trash collection service. Sheds cannot be located over utility service easements, nor in the public right-of-way.
  • Right of way: In Incline/Crystal Bay, the public right-of-way varies from 3 to 30 or more feet, so, you must be certain the shed is located on your own property. A revocable encroachment permit is granted from Washoe County for sheds that are 12 feet or greater from the edge of pavement, call for assistance with problem locations.
  • Help with bear shed location: In Incline/Crystal Bay, Waste Not (775-832-1284), Washoe County Roads Department (775-832-4125) and Waste Management (775-831-2971) can provide assistance in the site location for your shed. Local vendors of the sheds will also assist homeowners in box placement selection.
  • Serviceability: Locations further than 20 feet from the edge of pavement (curb) are subject to an additional monthly house service fee from Waste Management. Sheds must be cleared of vehicles and snow in winter. Waste Management has the right to refuse to collect from a location which is inaccessible.
  • Call 811: Get utility locations marked by calling 811 or visit at least 3 days BEFORE you begin installation.

Bear sheds are available for purchase from several vendors locally although IVGID does not endorse any particular manufacturer.

Waste Not can provide free bear shed location assistance. Simply contact us at 775-832-1284 if you have questions.