Youth and Adult aquatics programs, swim lessons, special events and more to meet swimmers needs of all ages. For general pool schedules, aqua fitness classes, and lap swimming visit the Pool & Aqua Fitness page.
To register for a program please visit the Recreation Center, 980 Incline Way, or call (775) 832-1310. For more information you can contact the Aquatics office at (775) 832-1321.
Incline Village Learn to Swim Program
Swim lessons are offered for a variety of ages and abilities. Programs are designed to follow the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim guidelines and all instructors are Water Safety Instructor certified. Class maximum is four. Please refer to the Swim Lesson Level Descriptions on: www.inclinerecreation.com for class enrollment recommendations. If your child is between two levels, please register them for the lower level (the instructor can give them more advanced skills to work on if needed). Registration will close the Friday before each session at 5:00 pm. After this time you may add your name to the waitlist and we will contact you if a spot opens. Registration can be done in person at the Parks & Recreation Counter or by calling (775)832-1310. If your child is enrolled and unable to attend the fi rst lesson of the session, please inform the aquatics office, otherwise, your spot may be given away. Swim lesson schedules follows Incline/Washoe County school breaks and whether or not we have conflicting programs. If you have any comments or suggestions about swim lessons, please feel free to contact the Aquatics Office at (775) 832-1321.
Fall / Winter / Spring Youth Swim Lessons:
Registration dates for Fall / Winter / Spring Sessions opens:
- Session I/A: 9/19/16
- Session II/B: 10/31/16
- Session III/C: 1/9/17
- Session IV/D: 2/20/17
- Session V/E: 3/27/17
- Session VI/F: 5/8/17
Fee: $61, w/IVGID Pass $49
Youth swim lessons Session Dates for Recreation Center
Day: Sunday (4 weeks)
Session A: 9/25 - 10/23;
(no class 10/3-10/7)
Session B: 11/6-12/4 (no class 11/27)
Session C: 1/22-2/12
Session D: 2/26-3/19
Session E: 4/2-4/30 (no class 4/9)
Session F: 5/14-6/11 (no class 5/28)
Times: 9:30am – 10:00pm Parent Tot
10:05am –10:35am Preschool, Level 1& 2
10:40am – 11:10am Levels 3, 4, & 5
Fee: $30, w/IVGID Pass $25
(Same day registration: add $10)
Days: Monday & Wednesday OR Tuesday & Thursday
(4 week classes)
Session I: 9/26 - 10/27; (no class 10/3-10/6)
Session II: 11/7-12/8 (no class 11/21-11/24)
Session III: 1/17-2/13
Session IV: 2/27 - 3/23
Session V: 4/3-5/4 (no class 4/10-4/13)
Session VI: 5/15-6/8 (no class 5/29)
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm Parent Tot, Level 2, 3 & 6
3:35 pm - 4:05 pm Preschool, Level 1, 2 & 3
4:10 pm - 4:40 pm Parent Tot, Preschool, Level 4 & 5
4:45 pm - 5:15 pm Level 1, 4, 5 & 6
3:00 – 3:30pm Level 1, 4, 5, 6
3:35 – 4:05pm Parent Tot, Level 4 & 5, Preschool
4:10 – 4:40pm Preschool, Level 1, 2, 3
4:45 – 5:15pm Parent Tot, Level 2, 3, 6
Swim Lesson Scholarship Program
We have a terrific scholarship program for kids to learn to swim. Please call the Parks & Recreation Department Counter at (775) 832-1310 if financial assistance is needed for lessons.
Swim Lesson Registration Details
Please refer to the Swim Lesson Level Descriptions below for class enrollment recommendations. If your child is between two levels, please register them for the lower level (the instructor can give them more advanced skills to work on if needed). Remember, no class can “drown-proof” your child. Constant supervision around water and Coast Guard approved life jackets are essential. Instructors will pre-test all students the first day of class. You may only register your own household for lessons unless you have a signed release form and payment from one other household. All registration can be done in person at the Parks & Recreation Counter or by calling (775) 832-1310.
- Registration will close the Friday before each session at 5:00 pm. After this time you may add your name to the waitlist and we will contact you if a spot opens.
- If the class you want is full, please put your name on the waiting list, and we will attempt to fill any vacancies before the start of the first class.
- If you are signed up for the session and will not be at the first day of class, please notify the Parks & Recreation Department Counter at (775) 832-1310 to ensure you do not lose your spot.
- If after the first class, we have been unable to reach you, your spot will be refunded and the next on the waiting list will be called.
(Teaching AMERICAN RED CROSS standards)
- Parent/Tot ~ Suggested age 6 mos - 4 yrs
- Class A: An introduction to the pool for infants and toddlers. Parent(s) will be in the water with child while an instructor guides the group through activities.
- Class B: An introduction to Preschool Level 1 skills including some work on the platform with parent support.
*Preschool classes below are designed for children 3-4 years old and have completed at least one Parent/ Tot session.
- Preschool class 1* ~ Tiny Tunas: Orients children to the aquatic environment and helps them gain basic aquatic skills. Focus on listening skills and water play.
- Preschool class 2* ~ Tadpoles:Helps children gain greater independence in their skills and develop comfort in and around water.Float independently and start working on treading water and front and back strokes.
- Preschool class 3* ~ Little Turtles: Helps children gain basic swimming propulsive skills and fully submerge underwater. Floating on front and back independently and changing direction while swimming. Treading water will also be integrated into lessons.
- Level 1 ~ Pollywogs: Introduction to water skills. Must be 5 or older. This level is for the swimmer who is comfortable in the water. Skills include working on back floats, front floats, introduction to front and back crawl and correct body position.
- Level 2 ~ Guppies: Fundamental water skills. For swimmers comfortable in 3 ½ ft of water, can immerse their face, and do both a front and back float with assistance. Focus on the components of front crawl and backstroke.
- Level 3 ~ Minnows: Stroke development. For swimmers beginning to learn and master the early components of front crawl and backstroke, as well as the dolphin, breaststroke, and scissor kicks. Focus on breath control and enhanced comfort in the water. Elementary backstroke and survival float will also be covered. To participate the child must have completed Level 2 or demonstrate the equivalent skill level during water testing.
- Level 4 ~ Flying Fish: Stroke improvement. For swimmers who can perform forward progression with front crawl and backstroke at least 15 yards. Students will put previous skills to use and will work heavily on side breathing with freestyle. Some diving/water entry from the side of the pool will also be covered.
- Level 5 ~ Dolphins: Stroke refinement. For students who can swim front crawl and backstroke at least one length of the pool (25 yds). Swimmers will work on all competitive strokes and be introduced to personal water safety and endurance on all strokes will be increased. Flip turns and basic diving will be covered.
- Level 6 ~ Super Stars: Students who have completed Level 5 will focus on training tools that help you become a fitness swimmer. A focus on flip turns, stoke technique, and water exercise principals. If you like this class you might consider joining our recreation swim team, the Silver Stars!
Private & Semi-Private Swim Lessons (all ages)
Beginner Springboard Dive Private & Semi-Private Lessons
Private lessons are available with certified Water Safety Instructors outside of group lesson times. To make a private lesson request, please call the Aquatics Office at (775) 832-1321. All private lessons are subject to availability of instructor staff. Lessons must be paid for in advance of taking the lesson. Payment must be made at the Parks & Recreation Department Counter.
Private ½ hour lesson (one student) $40, $32( w/IVGID Pass) or 5 Pack: $183, $144 (w/IVGID Pass)
Semi-Private ½ hour lesson (2 students same level) $54, $43 (w/IVGID Pass) or 5 Pack: $247, $196 (w/IVGID Pass)
Swim Team, Competitions & Challenges
Incline Aquatics Swim Team (ages 6+)
Come join Incline’s premier swim team for both competitive and novice swimmers. Our USA Swimming certified coaches will evaluate appropriate level and practice times for each participant. For those that are participating in USA Swimming, the opportunity to travel to USA Swim meets will be available.
Bronze: $100, $80 w/IVGID Pass M-Th 4:45pm-5:30pm
Silver: $125, $100 w/IVGID Pass M-Th 5:30pm-6:30pm
Gold: $125, $100 w/IVGID Pass M-Th 5:30pm-6:30pm
Junior/Senior: $150, $120 w/IVGID Pass M-F 5:30pm-6:30pm
Green: $75, $60 w/IVGID Pass M/W or T/Th 4:45pm-5:30pm
Northern Nevada Aquatics: $100, $80 w/IVGID Pass
Swim Team Level Descriptions:
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Class (ages 15+)
This class includes American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR for the professional rescuer, First Aid, AED & Oxygen Certifications. All applicants must be able to pass a skills pre-requisite swim test. Must attend all classes to be certified.
Dates: Saturdays May 20, May 27 and June 3, 2017
Times: 1:00pm - 7:00pm
Location: Recreation Center Pool
Fee: $203, w/IVGID Pass $162
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Class (ages 16+)
Come and learn to be a water safety instructor and teach swim lessons to youth and adults! This class will break down each stroke and train you how to teach swimming to anyone by incorporating creative teaching methods, as well as cover basic water safety techniques. You must be certified in Lifeguarding and CPR for the Professional Rescuer to be hired for IVGID aquatic staff.
Dates: Sundays, May 21, June 4 and June 11, 2017
Location: Recreation Center Pool
Fee: $203, w/IVGID Pass $162
Swim Around Tahoe (all ages)
To complete this program you can swim in the pool, the lake or at whatever facility you desire. Write down your mileage and we track your progress on a large map of the lake. Upon completion of your 72 mile journey, you will receive a t-shirt and your name on “the finishers” plaque placed at the pool. If you are ready to get in shape, sign up and get started! Swim Around Tahoe is open to participants ages 14 and older or younger swimmers who are able to swim five continuous laps.
Registration: $34, $27 (w/IVGID Pass); Registration is due May 1, and good for one year
Fastest in the Village (all ages)
Test your strength, endurance, and speed in the pool against others in the Village. Join this monthly swimming competition with a new event each month. The fastest time each month gets crowned "Fastest in the Village." Sign up at the Incline Village Parks & Recreation Desk.
Registration: Monthly $8, $6(w/IVGID Pass); 6 months $42, $30 (w/IVGID Pass)