IVGID's Compliance department works with property owners to ensure public health and safety through the Public Works Ordinances. They perform plan reviews on water and sewer projects, grease trap inspections, trash violation investigations, and backflow inspections. Answers for many of the questions we receive are found in the FAQ page.  

Whether you are a licensed contractor or a homeowner/landowner, you are required by law (NRS 455) to notify your local one-call utility notification center at least two working days (48 hours) before any digging/excavating.

When digging or excavating, people either neglect or decide not to call to request for underground utilities to be located and marked.  And it may be for the simple reasoning that this may cause project delays, additional costs, or the assumption that there are no underground utilities in the area or that prior area project calls would suffice.  Following this reasoning may result in leading to hazardous consequences.  To help address this issue, a new, Federally-mandated, national "Call Before You Dig" number has been created to help protect you from unintentionally hitting underground utility lines while digging or excavating.  Now you simply need to dial "811" to reach your local one-call center, regardless of where you are digging.

Just follow the four simple steps:

1) Call before you dig.

2) Wait the required time for facilities to be marked.

3) Respect the marks.

4) Dig with care.

If for any reasons you are not connected to your one-call center by dialing 811, you may dial 1-800-642-2444 or submit a ticket at www.811express.com

Remember, just call 811 - Its FREE, its the safe thing to do & it is the LAW.

If you don't call, it could result in hitting an underground utility line that in the least could result in disruption of utility service for you and/or your neighborhood.  At worst, it could cost the life of yourself, a worker or an innocent bystander.

If you would like to obtain further information regarding Call Before You Dig, please visit any of these following web-sites:


PHMSA Pipeline Safety Program

U S A North

Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 455


The backflow program was created as a requirement by the State of Nevada, under NAC 445A.67185.  Our backflow program was approved by the State in 2002 and this program helps to ensure safe potable water for residents.  Backflow devices are required on systems such as irrigation, hydronic heat and fire sprinklers and the device must be tested on an annual basis.   


Residential homes need to make sure they are not putting fats, oils and grease (FOG) down their drains.  These items can cause sewer backups into a home and lead to costly maintenance of the sewer infrastructure.  FOG should be collected in a can or jar and then be disposed of in the trash.  Reusable grease cans and heat-resistant plastic liners are also available at the Public Works office for residents.

The Compliance department also works with businesses to ensure that grease traps or interceptors are installed and cleaned on regular intervals. 


The Compliance department works with commercial and HOA's to inspect properties who need dumpster enclosures per Ordinance 1 requirements.

Plan Review

The Washoe County Building Department receives the initial plan packets at the start of the permit process. Projects which have water or sewer components will be sent to IVGID for review. If you are thinking about starting a project that involves water or sewer work the packets below contain information about requirements that may come up during your project.

Business License Sign-off

Appointments for a Washoe County Business License can be scheduled online or by calling the Compliance Department at (775)832-1224.  The sign-off requirements vary depending on the type of business.

Discontinuance of Service

Discontinuance of service can be completed through a demolition permit with Washoe County Building Department.  The procedures for disconnection of service are outlined in the following application.